Top 21 Python Web Frameworks to Learn in 2020
Python is a simple, high-level programming language. It follows the OOP (Object Oriented Programming) concept. Python provides an easy coding environment. This language, being rich in all aspects, has various applications. Web development is one of those applications. For developing web applications and creating code, developers practice Python Web Frameworks.
Python comes up with numerous frameworks. A framework is a combination of packages and modules which assist in designing any web application. These frameworks help developers to automate low-level tasks. It helps them to reduce the development time by providing them a well-defined structure.
There are three types of Python Web Frameworks – Full-stack, Non-full stack, and Asynchronous.
Full-stack Python Web Frameworks
This type of Python web framework provides a complete packet of features to the developers. It is a one-stop solution package. It offers all the necessary elements including form validation, form generation, template layout, etc.
It is an open-source Python framework for web development. It enables developers to develop the code in much less time and in fewer lines of code. Django follows the DRY (Don’t Repeat Yourself) principle. It has vigorous features including reusability of components, a colossal collection of libraries, etc. Django provides support for numerous databases such as MySQL, Oracle, etc.
Notifiable features of Django are:
- Authentication Mechanism
- URL routing
- Object-Relational Mapping (MRP) layer
- Adequate security
- Database Migration Architecture
Giotto is the Python framework based on the Model View Controller (MVC) pattern. This framework separates the model, view, and controller that enables developers to achieve their tasks effectively and independently. It permits controller modules that help developers to accomplish their tasks on the command line, IRC and web.
Notifiable features of Giotto are:
- Automatic URL routing
- Supports multiple controllers that are pluggable
- Generic views and models
- Supports functional CRUD pattern
It is another open-source Python web framework. It can run on various platforms such as windows, mac, Linux, etc. Web2PY comes with a personal IDE based on the web including one-click, debugger, the code editor and much more. It helps clients to generate things hastily. This framework allows users to build, test, edit, manage web applications over a web browser.
Notifiable features of Web2PY:
- Role-based access control
- Support Cross-platform
- Incorporates ticketing system
- Follows Model View Controller (MVC) architecture
- Capability to read multiple protocols
It is an open-source Python framework. It is an excellent platform for developers to develop data-driven web apps. TurboGears requires fewer set-up to develop apps. This framework makes use of various component segments like Genshi, Repoze, SQLAlchemy, etc. These components enable the effective and rapid development of apps that require database networks.
Notifiable features of TurboGears are:
- MVC style design
- Support Object Relational Mapper (ORM) and Ajax
- Multi-database transactions
- Support web servers such as Pylons
- Enables cross-platform functionality
It is one of the full-stack frameworks. It is an open-source framework. QUIXOTE is famous for its unbelievable features such as flexibility, high-performance, etc. This framework is popular among many public sites. It enables operation according to distinct elegance.
It is an open-source and free Python framework. It uses components called cubes instead of models and views. Several cubes together make an instance assisted by a web server, a database, and other files. This framework comes with RQL which is a query language.
Notifiable features of CubicWeb are:
- Offers great security workflow model
- Supports reusability of components
- Provides multiple databases
- Supports RDF (Resource Description Framework) and Web Ontology Language (OWL)
It is an open-source Python framework. It permits rapid web app development. This framework is created by combining elements of many languages such as Ruby, Perl, and Python. Pylon enhances the use of the Web Server Gateway Interface (WGSI).
Notifiable features of Pylon are:
- Supports URL dispatch
- Enhances HTML form generation and validation
- Enables text-based templating
- Practices cross-platform OS
It is an open-source framework that follows the DRY (Don’t Repeat Yourself) principle. It is based on the Zoop toolkit. Grok is primarily built to speed up the development tasks. Grok proposes building blocks that are essential to build custom web apps.
This Python framework runs on Python 3. It focuses on reducing the complexity of applications. The incredible feature of Pyramid is its ability to function well with small and full-scale applications.
Notifiable features of the Pyramid are:
- Supports function decorators
- Enhances URL generation
- Achieves templating specialization
- Enhances flexibility of authorization and authentication
Non-full stack Python Web Frameworks
This framework is also termed as Microframework. It is not capable of offering any calculative functions and features. It is a light-weight framework. This framework best fits when a large amount of manual coding is required.
It is an open-source framework which is one of the oldest Python frameworks. It follows the Spartan approach. CherryPy has the ability to function on any framework that supports Python. This framework produces standalone applications that can work on multi-threaded servers.
Notifiable features of CherryPy are:
- Can run on PyPy, Jython, and Android
- Has functionality to work multiple HTTP servers
- Enables powerful configuration system
It is an open-source and small-scale framework that enhances building dashboards using Python. It is designed to build analytical web-based applications. These apps are ready for mobile use and support cross-platform use of cross-platform.
Notifiable features of Dash are:
- Supports URL routing
- Enables error handling
- Offers easy interface for graphs, dropdowns, etc
- Enhances module support
It was originally designed to create APIs. It is an easy-to-use and straightforward framework that does not depend on Python behind the Standard libraries. As it is small in size, it allows every application to be executed in a single source file.
Notifiable features of Bottle are:
- Supports various databases
- Has an in-built HTTP server
- Allows access to form data, cookies, etc
- Has no dependencies
It is the most used framework to design small projects. Its main focus is to design a heavy web application base. Flask is essentially designed for Python based on Jinja2, Werkzueg, etc. It does not have specific libraries, tools, validation forms, etc.
Notifiable features of Flash are:
- Supports unit testing
- Enhances static file serving
- Maintains security of sessions at client-side
- Permits HTTP request handling
- Supports protected cookies
It is labeled as the fastest Python framework to build APIs. Hug applies the policy of using resources only when needed to increase its performance efficiency. It makes the use of Cython for gathering.
Notifiable features of Hug are:
- Appreciates ‘Write-once, use-anywhere’ policy
- Allows automatic documentation
- Has a built-in version management system
This framework is dependent to develop APIs for HTTP. It is designed to quickly develop web APIs. It is a highly optimized framework. Falcon permits cleaner design that enables HTTP and REST architecture.
Notifiable features of Falcon are:
- Responses HTTP errors accurately
- Boost-up speed with the support of Cython
- Performs unit testing
It is definitely based on the concept of object-orientation. It is one of the quickest frameworks. Pycnic basically supports JSON based APIs. It is a small and standalone framework. In order to make it fast and accurate, it practices minimal footprint.
Notifiable features of Pycnic are:
- Supports routing handling
- Contains built-in error handling mechanism
- Supports cookies
It is considered to be one of the most superior frameworks. It is extremely flexible and requires minimal footprint during setup. Morepath is model-driven and functions mainly for a greater number of use-cases.
Notifiable features of Morepath are:
- Supports reusable generic-views
- Simplifies the creation of generic user interface
- Embedded with all necessary features to design RESTful web services
Asynchronous Python Web Frameworks
It is similar to microframeworks and allows users to handle a large number of concurrent connections. It is based on the Asyncio library and mainly designed for Python.
Sanic is an open-source framework. It especially provides high-speed HTTP responses with the help of asynchronous request management. It is extremely simple to practice as it is built on an up loop. Sanic offers incredibly faster service as compared to other frameworks.
Notifiable features of Sanic are:
- Allows reading and writing cookies
- Supports plug-in method
- Enhances kinds of logging such as error log, access log, etc.
- Enables class-based views
AIOHTTP mainly relies on the features of Python 3.5+ such as awaits and async. It is a server framework and can even become a client framework when required. It takes the help of middleware systems to build web applications. AIOHTTP enhances an object and a router.
Notifiable features of AIOHTTP are:
- Supports pluggable routing
- Supports middleware
- Enhances the effective building of views
It is built on the top of Asyncio library. It mainly functions to manage the asyncio library at the lowest possible level. In Growler, the requests are passed to middleware technology. It comes out with an effective way to deal with complex applications.
Notifiable features of Growler are:
- Supports a large number of open-source units
- Uses decorators to code effectively
- Enhances the availability of Ziapp
It is an open-source framework. It is famous for its high-performance capability. Tornado basically functions to store whole structure code and hence, can design a bigger system. It has the ability to scale numerous open connections.
Notifiable features of Tornado are:
- Focuses on non-blocking operations
- Enhances a cleaner approach to web server programming
- Permits high quality output
- Enables real-time services
- Supports user authentication
Python is a language chosen to develop several projects. These projects are designed by using libraries and frameworks. The success of the project might depend on the framework chosen. Python web Frameworks are chosen according to the need for our project. Every framework has its distinct functioning. Each framework holds its pros and cons, so assess the framework as per your necessity.